The paired conjunctions above can be used to combine two sentences which are parallel. To combine the sentences using the paired conjunctions above,it is necessary to see the following rules :
- 1. Two subjects connected by both ______and take a plural verb.
– Both my brother and my sister are here.
– Both of us know him.
– Both doors were open.
- 2. When subjects are connected by only ______ but also, either ______ or, neither ______ nor, the subject that is closer to the verb determines whether the verb is singular or plural.
– Not only my sister but also my parents are here.
– Neither my mother nor my sister is here.
– Neither my sister nor my parents are here.
- 3. Notice that the paralled structure in the examples.
The same grammatical form should follow each word of the pair.
– The research project will take both time and money.
– Yesterday it not only rained but also snowed.
– I’ ll take either chemistry or physics next quarter.
– That book is neither interesting nor accurate.